Study Journalism at Pendleton Sixth Form College
26th August 2020
Do you dream of becoming a journalist? A reporter? An editor? A public relations specialist? Then this is the course for you. Creative Journalism (Digital Content Production) is a new A-level equivalent course, which can be taken alongside 2 other A levels.
This is the first step to achieving one of the most exciting careers available. Led by a team of industry specialists and former journalists, this programme is designed to introduce you to the fast-paced environment of print, broadcast and online journalism. You will learn how to improve your writing style, how to conduct interviews, create page layout and design, and how to improve your chances of getting your first foot in the door of this competitive industry.
What students will study:
- Journalist reporting.
- Digital media skills in video, audio, print, publishing, and web.
- Digital magazine production include genre, codes and conventions, content, layout and platforms.
- Interviewing techniques including journalistic context, questioning, styling and structure.
- Writing copy, exploring text from a range of media sectors, looking at style, content and delivery.
- How to gather information from primary and secondary sources, target audience and planning content.
- Page layout design for digital media exploring common principles of layout design, differences between printed and digital layout outcomes. Working with text, images/ graphics, and colour.
- How to respond to a brief.
Interested in studying Journalism at college? It’s not too late to come and study with us! 📝💻
Don’t worry if you haven’t applied, come down and speak to one of our team.
— Pendleton Sixth Form College (@PendSFCollege) August 26, 2020
The course is 67% coursework, this means that you are set assignments throughout the year. The remaining 33% of the course is a synoptic external assessment where a single task is set, which you have 20 hours of supervised college time to complete.
For entry onto a course at this level, the college requires 6 GCSE Grades (three grade 5’s and three grade 4s), one of these must be a Grade 5 in English.
What could this course lead to?
The skills you will learn from this course will enable you to: Pursue a career in print journalism, broadcast journalism, as a press officer, in public relations, marketing or publishing. Progress on to employment or a relevant university degree.
Click here to apply for the Level 3 Extended Digital Content Production (Journalism), or alternatively contact our admissions team on 0161 631 5050.