Two students on the Salford Red Devils Development academy have been signed as professional players by Salford Red Devils.   Luis Roberts and Connor Aspey both take part in the bespoke training academy programme at Eccles Sixth Form College. Whilst at the academy they receive the highest quality rugby league coaching whilst representing the Salford Red Devils.   Commenting on the recent signing, Neil Blackburn, manager of the Salford Red Devils Foundation said: “To have two of our students sign professional contract’s is testament to the coaching and opportunities to play that they receive as part of our Rugby League Development Academy. This is a reward for all their hard work and shows that there is a clear pathway to success in professional sport through our outstanding programme.”   Speaking about the achievement, Luis Roberts, said: “I am incredibly proud of myself. Getting a professional contact is obviously what I have been working so hard to achieve. I know I still need to work as hard if not harder to make my dream come true of being a regular first team player at Salford Red Devils.”   After making his debut last year as a trialist, Connor Aspey has been working incredibly hard to move up to the next level and get a professional contract. Connor explained: “Now that I have been playing regularly in the reserve team, it has helped me to develop even further. I really am looking forward to the challenges ahead and my focus is making a career in professional Rugby League.”   As part of Salford Red Devils ongoing commitment to developing talent as part of its development pathway, links were made with Valencia Hurricanes. Through this link Connor Aspey and Luis Roberts were loaned out to help strengthen their team for their first ever competitive match against Featherstone Rovers.   The Head of Youth Development, Danny Barton, took the two Eccles College students along with Community Coach, Sam Bardsley, to Valencia to enable them to compete in this historic game.   Commenting on the trip, Danny Barton explained: “It was a fantastic experience for the lads to experience another culture and get the opportunity to play against a professional team that will be competing for the Super League this year.  This opportunity will absolutely enhance their development as rugby players.”     Connor added: “I was thrilled to get the opportunity to play for Valencia Hurricanes and to score their first ever competitive try is an honour. It’s a nice bit of history that will always be there throughout my rugby career.”   If you would like to find out more about studying at Eccles Sixth Form College, come to our open event on Thursday 12th March. You can register here for tickets. Alternatively, contact our team on 0161 631 5000 or email enquiries@salfordcc.ac.uk.