16 – 18 Finance

Frequently Asked Questions 

Q: Is my course free?

Currently in the UK, students who are aged 16 – 18 are entitled to free further education after completing high school, which is delivered nationally by over 350 Colleges, Sixth Form Centres etc.

Definition of Further Education: Post-compulsory education (in addition to that received at secondary school). It may be at any level above compulsory secondary education, from basic skills training to higher vocational education such as; City and Guilds, Higher National Diploma or Foundation Degree.

Q: If I am a young parent, is there any funding available to help with the cost of childcare?

If you are over the age of 19 you can apply to the College Learner Support Fund for help with childcare. If you are eligible you can get up to £30 per day towards the cost of childcare. The government Care To Learn scheme helps with the cost of Childcare for 16 to 19 year olds who are in education.  The scheme ensures that nursery fees are paid directly, and students may also be able to get help with travel costs if extra travel is needed to take a child to nursery before college.

Q: What options do I have if I need to travel to get to college?

If you study at Salford City College, full time  you can take advantage of our College Bus Service.

However, for those students who rely on public transport to attend college, there are some options available to you:

Q: Do I qualify for any discounts when I am a student?

As a student, you can apply for a number of student discount cards, such as:

You can apply for the NUS card which will get you discounts in a number of shops. Many high street shops also accept your student ID card as valid form of ID to qualify for store promotions.