What is a Bursary?

The Bursary is money which has been given to the college to help 16-18 year old students who would otherwise struggle financially with the cost of attending college.

Am I Eligible?

To be eligible for a Bursary you must have applied for or be on a full-time course over 12 hours per week at either Eccles Sixth Form College, Pendleton Sixth Form College, Salford College of Further Education (City Skills, Worsley College) or FutureSkills at MediaCityUK.  The household income (all adults that live in your home who have financial responsibility for you) must be less than £30,000 per year before tax.

You must also be living in the UK and have lived here for at least 3 years prior to the course starting and be 16, 17 or 18 at the end of August.

If you have not been in the UK for at least 3 years you are not eligible to apply.

I am an Apprentice can I apply for a Bursary?

No.  As an apprentice you are paid a wage so are therefore not entitled to apply for a Bursary.

When should I apply?

You should apply for a Bursary before you start in September so that you can be helped as soon as you start college. As the money is not limitless the college may not make awards to all eligible students then it will be first come first served.  The application to apply for a Bursary is open in June and you apply online by clicking here.

How much will I get?

At present, you will get up to £10 a week paid directly into your bank account as long as you attend 100% of your lessons per week and have no more than one late.

What will I need to apply?

  • Student ID found on your offer letter
  • A valid email address
  • Proof of Household Income

What Evidence will I need?

If you live independently and claim Income Support or Universal Credit then you are eligible for a guaranteed Bursary of £35 per week. If you (not your parents/carers) claim Employment Support Allowance AND Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independent Payment in your own right you will be eligible for the guaranteed Bursary.  This evidence must be dated within the last 3 months and you must upload this when you apply online or call into the college and ask for Student Services who will do this for you.

If you are in the care of the local authority or a care leaver you will be eligible for a guaranteed bursary.  You must obtain a letter from the local authority stating that you are in care and upload this information.

If you are living with parents or foster parents their income will be assessed. This will mean that you are NOT on the guaranteed Bursary but could be eligible if the household income is under £30,000 before tax.

We would need to see evidence of their income to assess what they are predicted to receive for 2020/2021.  This must be dated within the last 3 months and needs to be all taxable income that comes into the household.  If parents are not working this could be:

  • Universal Credit
  • Income support
  • Income based Job Seekers Allowance (JSA)
  • Income based Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Guaranteed Pension Credit

If they are working they should provide:

  • P60 for 2019
  • The last 3 months wage slips
  • Working Tax Credit Award Notice 2019

This information must be uploaded with your application before a decision is made.  If the correct evidence is not submitted it cannot be assessed.  It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure it is the correct evidence.

I don’t have a computer/scanner how do I apply?

Just call into any of our colleges and ask for Student Services and they will help you apply.  Please bring with you all evidence that you need and they will upload it.

I don’t have a bank account can you pay it into my parents/carers?

No.  The government stipulate that the money belongs to the student so you must have your own bank account.  To open a bank account please call into any of your local banks who will be able to assist.

I need help with travel to and from college?

Our colleges have a number of buses that run to and from various sites. Please check the latest information by clicking here.

The buses are run by independent companies. It will cost £20 to register with them and the bus journey is FREE throughout the year.  You need to book your place on the bus via the website and pay the registration within 5 working days.  You can pay the registration once you have booked by ringing the College on 0161-631 5000.  When you start your course the bus number will be printed on your student card.

You could also look into student travel with First buses, System One or Metrolink.

What about Free School Meals (FSM) do I have to apply separately?

No. It is just the one application and if the household income is less than £16,190 and parents/carers are NOT receiving Working Tax Credits you can tick the box on the Bursary application that says you wish to apply for FSM as well as the Bursary.

How will I know if I have been successful?

Once you have applied and submitted all of the evidence a member of the Student Services team will assess this.  If everything is correct you will be emailed a link to say it has been successful.

How do I input bank details?

When you start your course you will be given an Intranet log in. You need to log on and upload your bank details.  You will not receive any payments until this is completed.  It is the responsibility of the student to input their bank details and ensure that they are correct.