23 September 2019

Born into a working-class household in Salford, Tom Hayes was the first member of his family to go to university more than 18-years-ago, though in his own words, was ‘thankfully not the last’. He has since gone on to have a successful career and work for some of the country’s most powerful people. But, Tom still remembers his time at Pendleton with fondness and highly regards the college for contributing towards his success. Tom attended Pendleton Sixth Form College between the years of 1999 and 2001, studying A-levels in law, history and English literature, walking away with A and B grades. He said: “Both of my parents have been too unwell all my life to work, so I grew up reliant on the social security net and a local state school system, in particular Pendleton Sixth Form College. “That said, I was the first in my family to go to university, thankfully not the last, and truly do not believe I would have got where I am today without attending Pendleton Sixth Form College, which gave me so much.” After leaving Pendleton in 2001, Tom went on to study at the University of Manchester and eventually onto study for his Master of Philosophy in International Studies, at the University of Cambridge. In 2009, Tom became a Fox International Fellow for Yale University in the USA. The elite fellowship, open to those who attended a world-leading university, is a graduate exchange program with Yale, and only open to those expected to become leaders in areas of social impact.
Tom's Journey: A Level Law, History and English Literature --> Undergraduate Degree University of Manchester --> Master of Philosophy in International Studies --> Fox International fellow for Yale University, USA
And, that’s exactly what Tom did. He said: “I am currently an elected Councillor for St Clement’s Ward in East Oxford. First elected to Oxford City Council in 2014, then re-elected in 2018, I live in the ward that I represent and serve as an elected Governor at Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust and East Oxford Primary School. “I'm the City’s Cabinet Member for a Zero Carbon Oxford. In this role, I lead the development of my Council’s journey to Zero Carbon by 2030 and develop our partnerships with large organisations to bring about a carbon neutral Oxford. I have responsibility for delivering the world’s first Zero Emission Zone for polluting vehicles from 2020 and the UK’s first Citizens' Assembly for dealing with climate change. “I have also led the delivery of Oxford’s Cleaner Air Charter—the first such charter launched by a local authority alongside Greenpeace UK and Friends of the Earth.” But, Tom’s incredible work doesn’t stop there. Between 2017 and 2019, he served as the Council’s Cabinet Member for Community Safety, in which he created a Public Spaces Drugs Taskforce—an innovation by a local authority and the police for addressing drugs taking and dealing. Away from the Council, Tom is the Chief Executive of Elmore Community Services, a charity which works directly with individuals with multiple and complex needs. In this role, he also serves as a co-chair of the Oxfordshire Anti-Slavery Network. Previously Tom also worked as Head of External Relations at Oxfordshire mental health charity, Restore; Head of UK Campaigns at the global humanitarian aid charity, Oxfam GB, and as a Campaigns Manager at the disability charity, Scope. If you would like to study at a college which provides you with a range of exciting opportunities, please contact the Pendleton Sixth Form College Admissions Team on 0161 631 5000.