AAT Student has Career Ready to thank for internship success

28 March 2018

Eireann O’Loughlin-Boardman, who is currently studying for her AAT with Career Ready at FutureSkills at MediaCityUK, completed a 6-week internship with SIS (Sports Information Services) last summer.

17-year-old Eireann has come a long way since leave St Patricks RC High School almost two years ago. Currently in her second year of studying, the aspiring accountant secured herself a sought-after internship last summer, after being given the opportunity to interview with the company through college and the career ready scheme.

She said: “It’s great to go to a college that has so many connections to such big companies. I now feel I have my foot in the door within the industry thanks to Geoff, my teacher, and Career Ready.

“I’m still in contact with the company and they have even told me to send over my CV once I’ve finished my qualification as they are eager to find me a place with them.”

Eireann thanks her dedicated teacher for keeping connections with companies like SIS alive.

“Geoff does everything he can, with what he has got, to make sure every deserving student gets an internship, which is a great testament to the college.”

Eireann secured the internship over five others and was one of only two interns at the company, the other being a university student. When asked why she thought she got the internship over others, she said: “I put the work in before the interview. I knew more about the company than some of the others and I showed I wanted it.

“I tried to be myself, remain relaxed and be memorable. I talked about the new CEO I found out had been appointed, which showed I’d done my research.”

During her placement, which Eireann described as, ‘daunting but worth it’, she was given the opportunity to have a taste of different job roles within the finance department; from purchase ledger to treasury. She was taken to meetings, and shadowed the finance team who she said made her feel ‘part of the family’.

And the team were just as impressed with Eireann, complimenting her excellent work ethic and personality.

Eireann now hopes that her internship, along with her level 3 AAT qualification, will set her on the right path towards a successful career in accounting.

Have you ever considered becoming an accountant? If you are interested in a career in the financial services and want the best work placement opportunities available, why not call the FutureSkills at MediaCityUK Admissions Team on: 0161 631 5000, or head down to the Accounting  Information Evening on April 23 2018. Click here to find out more. 

Helpdesk Software