Plumbing & Domestic Heating Technician
PLUMBING & DOMESTIC HEATING TECHNICIAN
|Typical Duration||4 Years|
|Delivery Model||Day release|
|Delivery Location||City Skills, Lissadel Street, M6 6AP|
|Start Date||September 2020|
Plumbing and Domestic Heating Technicians plan, select, install, service, commission and maintain all aspects of plumbing and heating systems. Plumbing and Domestic Heating Technicians can find themselves working inside or outside a property. Customer service skills and being tidy and respectful are important qualities, as they can often find themselves working in customers’ homes, as well as on building sites.
As a competent Plumbing and Domestic Heating Technician, the installation of plumbing and heating systems includes accurate measuring, marking, cutting, bending and jointing metallic and non-metallic pipework. Appliances and equipment can include gas, oil and solid fuel boilers as well as pumps, heat emitters, bathroom furniture or controls as part of a cold water, hot water, and central heating or above ground drainage and rainwater systems.
Plumbing and Domestic Heating Technicians are at the forefront of installing new and exciting environmental technologies like heat pumps, solar thermal systems, biomass boilers, and water recycling systems. It is important for a Plumbing and Domestic Heating Technician to be able to work independently or as a team, and use their knowledge and skills to ensure that both the system and appliances are appropriately selected and correctly installed, often without any supervision, and done so in a safe, efficient and economical manner to minimise waste.
What will you learn?
Apprentices will learn:
- Health and safety legislation, codes of practice and safe working practices
- The selection, planning, installation, testing, commissioning and de-commissioning, service, maintenance, fault diagnosis and repair techniques on cold water, hot water, central heating, above ground drainage and rainwater systems
- Installation and testing techniques for electrical components and control systems on plumbing and domestic heating systems
- Scientific plumbing, domestic heating and mechanical principles
- The principles of domestic mechanical environmental technology systems
- The principles of fuel combustion, ventilation and fluing arrangements within a domestic environment
- The principles of high-quality customer service and establishing the needs of others (colleagues, customers and other stakeholders)
- Respect for the working environment, including customer’s properties
- Different communication methods, how to communicate in a clear, articulate and appropriate manner, and how to adapt communication style to suit different situations
- The principles of selection, installation, testing, commissioning and service and maintenance techniques on domestic downstream natural gas pipework systems and appliances
- The principles of selection, installation, testing, commissioning and service and maintenance techniques on solar thermal, heat pumps and water recycling systems
How is it delivered and assessed?
Level 3 Plumbing and Domestic Heating Diploma
This standard has an assessment at the end of each academic year (phase) which consists of knowledge assessments and practical skills test which must be passed to move on to the next phase.
Towards the end of the programme, apprentices develop a portfolio of site-based evidence to demonstrate achievement of knowledge, skills and behaviors aligned to the standard.
End Point Assessment
Apprentices are required to undertake an end point assessment. This will consist of:
- A multiple choice knowledge test
- A design project
- A practical installation test
- A practical application test
- A professional discussion
- Full Level 2 (5 GCSE’s or equivalent), or a relevant Level 2 plumbing qualification with maths and English at a minimum of Level 1
Apprentices must be in suitable employment have the opportunity to develop all required knowledge, skills and behaviours aligned to this apprenticeship standard.
Interested in this apprenticeship? Apply now.