|Typical Duration||Minimum of 12 Months|
|Delivery Model||One-to -one delivery or small groups as required|
|Delivery Location||Various, workplace and college|
|Start Date||September 2020|
Hospitality Supervisors work across a wide variety of businesses, including bars, restaurants, cafés, conference centres, banqueting venues, hotels or contract caterers. They provide vital support to management teams, and are capable of independently supervising hospitality services and running shifts.
They typically work under pressure; delivering outstanding customer service and motivating a team is essential to their role. The majority of supervisors’ skills and knowledge are the same, but supervisors may specialise in specific functions, or work across a variety of functions which reflect the multi-functional nature of the industry. The specialist functions include:
- Food and Beverage Supervisor
- Bar Supervisor
- Housekeeping Supervisor
- Hospitality Outlet Supervisor
- Events Supervisor
What will you learn?
Apprentices will learn a variety of aspects to hospitality supervision, expectations and knowledge to help with their job role, as well as areas for the specialist function of the standard. These include:
- Developing an understanding of their own role in motivating the team to work according to the business vision and values, and to achieve business targets, always focusing on the importance of providing the best service for customers
- Understanding the financial operations of a hospitality business, and how the business interacts with other organisations as a whole
- Understanding the purpose of standard operating procedures, how to minimise risks, and how to utilise technology to support service delivery
- Understanding how to effectively organise and co-ordinate a team to provide required levels of service, to meet targets and support business objectives.
- Learning how to communicate effectively to support and motivate the team and maximise potential
- Understanding the importance of customer profiles, how to build them, and understand how this enables the business to meet their needs profitably and in line with business/brand standards
- Developing an understanding of sales and marketing activities to promote products and services
- Identifying the different leadership styles and supervisory management skills which are effective in hospitality businesses
- Understanding how to promote diversity and inclusion in the workplace
As a Hospitality Supervisor, you will follow one of the following pathways:
Food and Beverage Supervisor
This pathway will teach apprentices how to maintain standards in a range of settings, from pubs, clubs, bars, restaurants, cafés, conference centres, banqueting venues, hotels, restaurants and contract caterers. It will also teach them how to co-ordinate a range of dining experiences, including menu design, product knowledge, how to match food and beverage items, and current trends in the industry.
This pathway will teach apprentices how to oversee the effective running of the bar in pubs, nightclubs, hotels, restaurants and resorts, ensuring customer satisfaction, maintaining an exceptional standard of delivery and professionalism (whilst achieving profitability) in line with budgets, and complying with legislation and organisational procedures. It will also teach them how to monitor cellar and beverage storage procedures to optimise beverage quality.
This pathway will teach apprentices how to maintain the presentation of establishments, such as hotel and other overnight accommodation, including hostel, serviced apartments and conference venues. It will also teach them how to co-ordinate the work of cleaners, laundry services and room attendants, to ensure customers’ experiences are in line with the business standards.
Hospitality Outlet Supervisor
This pathway will teach apprentices how to support the day-to-day business operations of a retail outlet, such as quick service restaurants, branded coffee or sandwich shops. It will also teach them how to supervise operations to meet customers’ expectations of efficiency and consistency, and to comply with legislation and organisational procedures.
This pathway will teach apprentices how to co-ordinate a variety of functions that take place at a venue, for example a business conference, convention, banquet or wedding, including supervising multiple events. It will also teach them how to identify the information required, and know how to source, evaluate and use it to plan events which meet customer and business requirements, how to develop and implement an event agreement, and how to work to agreed budgets.
How is it delivered and assessed?
This apprenticeship standard is delivered mainly through one-to-one support in the workplace or in college, where apprentices can also access workshops.
Apprentices will produce a portfolio of evidence to cover all areas of the standard and the specialist function. The college uses the British Institute of Innkeeping Awarding Body Quality Assured Delivery and Assessment Preparation (BIIAB QADAP) to record the on-programme learning and development. This is assessed by written assignments, a professional discussion and holistic observations in the workplace.
- BIIAB QADAP – Hospitality Supervision
- Functional Skills Level 2 in English (unless previously achieved)
- Functional Skills Level 2 in mathematics (unless previously achieved)
End Point Assessment
The end point assessment will consist of:
- A multiple choice knowledge test (2 hours)
- A practical observation in the workplace, covering your usual supervisor job role (4 hours)
- A business project looking at an opportunity/challenge/idea to make an improvement to the business
- A professional discussion with the end point assessor (1.5 hour structured interview)
English and maths – minimum of Level 1 is required
A Level 2 hospitality qualification or relevant work experience
Apprentices must be in suitable hospitality role and have the opportunity to develop all required knowledge, skills and behaviours aligned to this apprenticeship standard (e.g. trainee supervisor).
Interested in this apprenticeship? Apply now.