|Typical Duration||42 Months|
|Delivery Model||Day Release|
|Delivery Location||City Skills, Lissadel Street, M6 6AP|
|Start Date||September 2020|
Installation Electricians will need to demonstrate and evidence that they have had the experience to install at first and second fix a wide range of containment systems, wiring systems and equipment in a safe environment as well as testing, inspecting, certification and fault finding.
Maintenance Electricians are expected to be able to demonstrate that they have maintained at least five different systems carrying out a range of planned preventative maintenance and emergency repairs as well as testing, inspecting, certification and fault finding. The qualification includes the 18th Edition Wiring Regulations certificate, and course completion enables the apprentice to become registered on the national Joint Industry Board (JIB) database for qualified installation and maintenance electricians with the opportunity to receive and hold a gold skills card.
What will you learn?
Apprentices will learn the following:
- The health and safety and environmental regulations, guidance notes and relevant codes of practice, and the requirements of the current edition of the wiring regulations
- The principles, practices and legislation for the termination and connection of conductors, cables and cords in electrical systems
- The practices and procedures for the preparation and installation of wiring systems and electrotechnical equipment in buildings, structures and the environment
- The principles, practices and legislation for the inspection, testing, commissioning and certification of electrotechnical systems and equipment in buildings, structures and the environment
- The principles, practices and legislation for diagnosing and correcting electrical faults in electrotechnical systems and equipment in buildings, structures and the environment
- The electrical principles associated with the design, building, installation and maintenance of electrical equipment and systems
- How to oversee and organise the work environment
Installation apprentices will learn the principles of planning and selection for the installation of electrotechnical equipment and systems in buildings, structures and the environment.
Maintenance apprentices will learn the practices and procedures for planning and preparing to maintain electrotechnical systems and equipment.
How is it delivered and assessed?
This qualification is delivered on a day release model at City Skills, Lissadel Street, M6 6AP, with a range of theory and practical sessions. Technical units include a combination of written, online multiple choice and practical assessments. In addition to this, there is a portfolio of evidence from work undertaken on site, including:
- Site observations
- Reflective accounts
- Questions and documentary evidence
This will be recorded in the college’s e-portfolio system.
- Level 3 Electrotechnical Qualification, (Installation) or (Maintenance)
- Functional Skills Level 2 in English (unless previously achieved)
- Functional Skills Level 2 in maths (unless previously achieved)
End Point Assessment
The end point assessment will consist of an AM2S test, which includes:
- A practical and theory assessment (16.5 hours typically over 2 and a half days)
- 40 multiple-choice questions
- Assessment in sections, requiring apprentices to perform a set of common tasks and procedures that a full scope electrical operative might face when working in commercial or industrial premises as well as dwellings
- Assessment on installation, inspection, testing and fault-finding; their work must comply with British Standard 7671 “Requirements for Electrical Installations” (BS 7671), be in line with relevant health and safety legislation and conform to current industry practices and procedures.
Five GCSE’s including English and maths, or a suitable Level 2 competence qualification with English and maths at Level 2, are required for this programme.
Apprentices must be in suitable employment have the opportunity to develop all required knowledge, skills and behaviours aligned to this apprenticeship standard.
Interested in this apprenticeship? Apply now.