|Typical Duration||15 Months|
|Delivery Model||Day release (during college term time)|
|(Delivery Location||Worsley College, Walkden Road, M28 7QD|
|Start Date||September 2020|
Beauty Therapists carry out beauty therapy treatments in line with legal, industry and organisational requirements. They maintain and record details of beauty treatment consultations with clients, and choose the most appropriate treatments and products for clients. Beauty Therapists implement and practice safe ways of working for themselves and others; they select, use and apply a range of beauty therapy techniques, products, tools and equipment to facilitate the client journey. Beauty Therapists make appointments, complete the services and handle payments from clients, in addition to providing advice and recommendations on the beauty treatments and services they offer.
What will you learn?
Apprentices will learn professionalism and values, legal, industry and organisational requirements, including quality assurance systems, time and self-management principles, standards of appearance, personal hygiene, etiquette, housekeeping, consumer rights, data protection, client journey, customer service, sales, product knowledge and after care, communication skills, complaint handling and problem solving.
Apprentices will learn safe working practices, including safe use of tools, equipment, materials and products, workplace housekeeping, cleaning, disinfection, sterilisation, waste disposal, supplier or manufacturer’s instructions, protection of themselves and the client, direct and indirect cross-infection, contraindications and contra-actions, methods that promote environmental and sustainable working practices, and how to recognise and reduce the risk of injury to themselves and others.
Apprentices will practice with different types of equipment and products, waxing services, and learn how these are best carried out. They will study the structure and function of the skin and hair, the hair growth cycle and factors that affect hair growth.
In addition, apprentices will learn:
- The techniques, tools and equipment used within hand and nail treatments, the anatomy and physiology of hands, lower arms, nails and skin
- The techniques, tools and equipment used within foot treatments, the anatomy and physiology of the lower leg, foot, nails and skin
- The techniques, tools and equipment used for facial treatments, the anatomy and physiology of the face, the structure and function of the skin, including various skin conditions
- The techniques, tools and equipment used for eyebrow artistry and their effects, how to colour eyelashes and to attach, maintain and remove semi-permanent and temporary eyelashes
- The techniques, tools and equipment used to create different make-up effects for different occasions
- Correct use, application and benefits of massage techniques, the anatomy and physiology of the body and systems
How is it delivered and assessed?
This course is delivered on a term time day release model at Worsley College, Walkden Road, M28 7QD.
The on-programme learning is delivered via knowledge and skills sessions during the college day release programme. Candidates will also produce a portfolio of evidence to demonstrate the development of knowledge, skills and behaviours which will include knowledge tests, evidence from the workplace, observations of the apprentice with clients, both in the workplace and in the college salon.
- Level 2 Diploma for Beauty Professionals – Beauty Therapist
- Functional Skills Level 2 in English (unless previously achieved)
- Functional Skills Level 2 in mathematics (unless previously achieved)
End Point Assessment
End point assessment for this qualification consists of a multiple choice knowledge test and an independent observation of the apprentice working on a minimum of two clients, undertaking a range of treatments, including: waxing, hand, foot and nail treatments, facial, eyebrow, make-up and massage.
English and maths – level 1 is required for this programme.
Apprentices must be in suitable employment have the opportunity to develop all required knowledge, skills and behaviours aligned to this apprenticeship standard.
Interested in this apprenticeship? Apply now.