Financial Support

Frequently Asked Questions 

Q.     Is my course free?

Currently in the UK, students who are aged 16 – 18 are entitled to free further education after completing high school, which is delivered nationally by over 350 colleges, Sixth Form Centres etc.  This applies to courses that are Level 3 and below.

Q.     Is there a College registration fee? 

All students pay a £20 registration fee when joining college (with exception to Community, ESOL and Higher Education students, Apprentices and JCP referrals). The registration fee will give you £20 worth of printing on your student ID card and access to free car parking. Students can pay by cash or card and this fee is non-refundable.

Q.     What is Further Education?

Definition of Further Education: Post-compulsory education (in addition to that received at secondary school). It may be at any level above compulsory secondary education, from basic skills training to higher vocational education such as; City and Guilds, Higher National Diploma or Foundation Degree.

Q.     Is there any funding available to help me with the cost of studying?

If your annual household income is less than £20,000 per year, you may be entitled to the College Bursary, which provides students from low income families with up to £10 per week to spend on the costs associated with attending college.

Q.     If I am a young parent, is there any funding available to help with the cost of childcare?

The government Care To Learn scheme helps with the cost of Childcare for 16 to 19 year olds who are in education.  The scheme ensures that nursery fees paid directly, and students may also be able to get help with travel costs if extra travel is needed to take a child to nursery before college.

 Q.     What options do I have if I need to travel to get to college?

If you study at Eccles and Pendleton Sixth Form College or Salford College of Further Education, you can take advantage of our College Bus Service.

However, for those students who rely on public transport to attend college, there are some options available to you:

 Q.       Can I access any funding to help with course equipment?

Depending on the course that you study, you may be able to get support with the cost of any kits or specialist equipment you require for your course.  When you visit one of our college open events, make sure you ask a member of staff from within the relevant department if this option is available. Alternatively, you may choose to utilise some of the bursary money you may qualify for, to purchase said materials.

 Q.       Is there any support for food/drink whilst I am studying?

 We offer food vouchers to those students who qualify for the bursary payments, to help with the cost of lunch whilst you attend college.

 Q.       Do I qualify for any discounts when I am a student?

As a higher education student, you can qualify for a number of student discount cards, such as:

Many high street shops also accept your student ID card as valid form of ID to qualify for store promotions.

* Terms and conditions apply