Disabled Students

There is a range of additional support available for students with a disability who are studying a Higher Education courses.

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) are grants to help with the extra costs a student may face because of a disability. Conditions covered include long-term illnesses, mental health conditions or specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia.

If you qualify for DSAs, they’re paid on top of any standard student finance you get. You can apply to Student Finance England for DSAs when you apply for student finance. The amount you can get isn’t affected by your household income, and the allowances don’t have to be paid back. Part time students can apply for:

2015 to 2016 academic year

Type of student Specialist equipment allowance Non-medical helper allowance General allowance
Full-time Up to £5,212 for the whole course Up to £20,725 a year Up to £1,741 a year
Part-time Up to £5,212 for the whole course Up to £15,543 a year Up to £1,305 a year

Postgraduates can get a single allowance of up to £10,362 a year.

These figures are the maximum amounts – most students get less.

For more information on making an application click here.

Please note that the college can only offer limited additional learning support to HE students who have not applied for DSA.  However reasonable adjustments to teaching and learning and in some instances assessment can be made for all students with a recent needs assessment.

For application guidance and additional information please call 0161 631 5000 and ask to speak to a member of the Learning Support team.

If you are applying for a course that we deliver in partnership with a University, you can also contact their disability support teams: