Our guide to clearing
6 July 2018
Yesterday our clearing lines opened. Offering anyone undecided about university or still without a place, a chance to talk to our advisors about the best options available to them. But, what actually is Clearing, who is it for, and why should you consider studying at the University Centre at Salford City College, the best college in Greater Manchester?
What is Clearing?
Clearing is part of the university application process and it has two key purposes. Firstly, it is a way for Higher Education providers, like us, to fill any spaces on courses starting in the new academic year. Secondly, it gives applicants who do not hold an offer on a Higher Education course, or who don’t want to accept offers they have, for whatever reason, a chance to get a place that’s right for them.
Top Tip: If you haven’t already, you must apply on UCAS to use the Clearing service. We cannot offer you a place on a course until you are recognised as ‘in Clearing’ on the system.
Who might need to use Clearing?
Clearing is essentially for UCAS applicants whose university future is still uncertain. To meet criteria you must have applied through UCAS and must not have withdrawn your application.
You might need to go through Clearing if one of the below applies to you:
- You made your application after the 30th of June 2018
- You have applied for university through UCAS but did not receive any offers
- You have applied for university through UCAS but are either unsure whether you want to accept any of those offers/ have declined your offers
- You have not met the conditions of your offers and have been declined after results day
Top Tip: To successfully go into Clearing on UCAS, you must have paid the full £22 application fee. Make sure you have done this to use the Clearing service – otherwise we won’t be able to make you an offer.
Why call our Clearing line?
If you missed the 30th June late application deadline for university courses, or only decided you wanted to study further this autumn, after this date, your application will not be sent out to universities and colleges. Instead, you will go straight into Clearing. You can now give us a call to see what we can offer you.
Perhaps you’ve applied but haven’t received any offers, or any offers you feel are right for you. It might be that you want to consider your options and see what courses we offer?
You might want to call our Clearing line if you are concerned that you might not receive the grades you need to be accepted into your firm choice or insurance choices of university. At this stage, you can give us a call and we can advise you on your options and how we can help. However, we cannot offer you a place until you have received your results.
Lines are open Monday to Thursday between 8.30am and 4pm. On Fridays, lines are open between 8.30am and 3pm.
The number is: 0161 631 5075.
30 June 2018 – Late applications onto university courses close. Anyone who applies after this date is entered into Clearing.
5 July 2018– Clearing open, applicants can call to receive advice and find out more about courses on offer at the University Centre at Salford City College. If they already have their results, they may be offered a place. If not advise can be given and they will be asked to call back on A-level Results Day.
16 August 2018 – A-level Results Day. The Clearing line will be extended and anyone who has not received the grades they needed to get onto their chosen course can get in touch and hopefully be placed on a course with us.
23 October 2018– Clearing closes. This is the last opportunity to get onto a course through Clearing and the deadline for colleges and universities to accept applicants for 2018 entry.
Why study at the University Centre Salford City College?
What can we offer you?
- Studying at a college means cheaper fees
- Smaller class sizes
- Incredible industry links
- Experienced and dedicated teaching staff
- One-on-one teacher-student support
- Excellent transport links
- An opportunity to study in an incredible city
- Use of facilities at The University of Salford and The University of Bolton, including the students union, societies and libraries
- An incredible track record for progression and an incredible portfolio of alumni
- All the same benefits as studying at a university
- Student discounts
- A choice of a vast range of courses and qualifications
- Access to student accommodation
- Part-time work available with the highest paid HE Ambassador programme in Greater Manchester
- We have the highest quality rating for Higher Education in the country
- Our students have achieved high grades consistently for the last 5-years
- Study in our state-of-the-art facilities across Salford
If you want to know more, or are still confused about Clearing, don’t worry, you can now call us on: 0161 631 5075.