Foundation Degree student makes her California dream a reality as she secures top scholarship

30 April 2018

Business and Events Foundation Degree student, Sophie Ward, has won a scholarship with the International Business School Americas in Strategy and Marketing, and will be jetting off to California next January.

The scholarship, which will last for a month and commences in January 2019, will take Sophie to The University of La Verne, California, America. ULV is one of the most respected American universities and is located just 50-minutes away from central Los Angeles.

Sophie, a former St Ambrose Barlow RC High School student, who is currently studying for her Foundation Degree with the University Centre at MediaCityUK, initially applied for the scholarship on blackboard, but didn’t expect to be selected with places being limited.

She said: “I initially saw the scholarship on blackboard and decided that it would be a great opportunity. I feel that it will help me with my future career as it will provide networking opportunities as well as giving me additional experience in business.

“I am very excited that I have been chosen. At first I felt overwhelmed as I didn’t expect to be selected due to there being only a few places available.

“I am a bit nervous as this is the furthest I have travelled before, however I am sure the time I spend there will be very memorable.”

“As one of our business event students, we are incredibly proud of Sophie’s achievement and the message it sends out to potential applicants.” – Nicola Iqbal, Business Teacher, University Centre at MediaCityUK

Whilst studying in LA Sophie will attend lectures and seminars and be invited onto trips to businesses and corporations in the area. She will be assessed throughout her scholarship by completing assignments and will receive a recognised, business certificate once the course is complete – which will certainly help her CV stand out once she has completed her studies.

Nicola Iqbal, Foundation Degree Business Teacher at the University Centre at MediaCityUK, is extremely proud of her student, she said: “This is a wonderful opportunity for Sophie, not only will she get to experience global strategy and marketing in an International setting, but the wealth of guest speakers and employability opportunities is invaluable.

“This will provide a foundation for her future studies as Sophie hopes to complete a BSc in International Events Management at the University of Salford once she has completed her two years with us here.

“It is also something that going forward we can embed into our programme of Business Foundation Degrees at the University Centre. Hopefully, we will see future students go forward and take advantage of the scholarships offered.

“As one of our business event students, we are incredibly proud of Sophie’s achievement and the message it sends out to potential applicants.”

Are you interested in having a career in events and marketing? If so why not contact the University Centre at MediaCityUK Admissions Team on 0161 631 5000.

Helpdesk Software