IT and computing students have the right ‘iDEA’

28 February 2018 

The first two IT and computing students, studying at FutureSkills at MediaCityUK, have been awarded the bronze award for their work on The Duke of York Inspiring Digital Enterprise Award – also known as iDEA.

The Duke of York Inspiring Digital Enterprise Award aims to equip young people with digital and enterprise skills. Through a series of online courses they learn how to make, create, build and shine in the digital world, all whilst adding another element to their CV.

IT and computing students at the college began their iDEA journeys late last year and have been completing their short courses, which go towards their bronze award, alongside their studies.

Lee Chadwick, Curriculum Leader for IT and Computing, said: “The Duke of York Digital Awards are becoming as familiar to us as the Duke of Edinburgh Award, which is down to the growing importance of technology in all we do.

“The awards will soon be known by employers and universities as a badge of excellence in technology circles and it is because of this we are encouraging all of our students to participate and enhance their progression potential into the industry.”

He continued: “As well as skill building in coding and similar disciplines, there are business and entrepreneur pathways that support a computing student who has ambitions of starting their own business.

“The awards fit perfectly into all that we do in the IT and Computing Department and we feel this is an opportunity for all of our students to display their skills and receive extra accreditation for their CVs and personal statements.”

Tom Simpson and Jack Galbraith, both studying IT Software Development, were two of the first to achieve the bronze award, both receiving a certificate signed by Prince Andrew and a Buckingham Palace advice note.

The silver and gold awards are to be launched later this year – giving both boys, and other students something further to work towards.

Jack said: “I enjoyed doing the activities, I chose the financial and business units as this is what I am interested in. I was pleased that I was getting a reward at the end of all my hard work for my CV. I am looking forward to tackling the silver and gold awards.”

(Jack Galbraith, with his certificate.) 

If you are interested in studying a rewarding syllabus, with the opportunity to take part in extra courses and qualifications too, then call admissions on 0161 631 5000.

Helpdesk Software