Pendleton science teacher is recognised as ‘teaching hero’ at university awards

31 January 2018

Christopher Holgate, Curriculum Leader for Science and Engineering at Pendleton Sixth Form College, has been awarded a ‘Certificate of Distinction’ as part of the ‘Teacher Hero Awards, 2017-18’ presented by Aberystwyth University.

Chris was nominated by former student, Abbijade Reid, who now studies English Literature at the university.

Abbijade said in her nomination: “Although not an English teacher himself, Chris kept me motivated throughout my three years at Pendleton whilst I studied science. He believed in me when I did not and without him I would not be where I am now – at Aberystwyth studying English Literature.

“I am incredibly grateful for everything he’s done for me and I believe that he should be nominated for all his hard work, for keeping myself and my class on track and for pushing us towards everything we’ve all hoped and dreamt for.” – Abbijade Reid

Students at the university were asked to nominate the college teacher who made the most significant difference to their educational journey.  The university then selected outstanding nominees to be given awards.

Chris taught Abbijade physics during her two year applied science course and was her personal tutor during some of her time at Pendleton. In that time Chris certainly made an impact on the hopeful student.

Chris said: “Abbijade was one of the most delightful students who I have had the pleasure to teach, helping her through the courses she studied at Pendleton Sixth Form College.  She often required extra support and encouragement in order to stay motivated and happy in her college life, which I provide to all of my students. 

“It is great to see that she is flourishing at university and I am very glad that I had the opportunity to make such a positive impact on her college life.” – Christopher Holgate, Curriculum Leader for Science and Engineering

Head of Department for Science, Chongwei Chua said: “I am very proud to have Chris in the science department at Pendleton Sixth Form College.  As a highly skilled physics teacher, his classes have consistently performed well due to the high level of support and motivation received.  As Curriculum Leader, he is an excellent organiser of teaching and learning. 

“This award is a fitting recognition of all his efforts in enhancing the lives of the young people we serve.”

Pendleton Sixth Form College prides itself on its excellent teaching staff and outstanding students. If you interested in studying in their Centre of Excellence for Science, why not contact admissions on 0161 631 5000.

Helpdesk Software