Career Ready student lands dream Apprenticeship

The Career Ready Programme has a positive impact on students as it comes with a prestigious work placements, it boosts confidence and provides an invaluable experience of how organisations work but for Milly Prendiville it has been a life-changing experience. Milly has progressed from the Career Ready programme onto a Level 3 Apprenticeship in Accounting at the PHMG Media Group and studies at FutureSkills @MediaCityUK one day a week.

We interviewed Milly, former pupil of Irlam and Cadishead College about her experiences of the Career Ready Programme, her work placements and hopes for the future!

What is PHMG?
It is an audio branding agency and they have clients such as Coca Cola, Audi, Virgin and Jaguar. They provide the on-hold music for companies as well as voicemail and provides recorded messages such as opening times of the company, website details or anything else the customer wants.

What led you to your Apprenticeship at PHMG?
I started on the Career Ready programme at Salford City College which links students to the world of work and includes lectures, mentoring, workplace visits and internships. I enjoyed it so much, we went on trips to companies such as Grant Thornton, RBS, BDO, and Barclay’s Head Office in London. My 6 week work placement was in Accountancy at the Peel Group (the company who have developed the INTU Trafford Centre and MediaCityUK). I learnt so much at Peel – it definitely confirmed that Accountancy was the career for me, and because of my experiences at Peel, I was confident enough to apply for the Apprenticeship PHMG and be successful!

What do you like about working at PHMG and what are your daily roles?

I really enjoy how friendly and supportive my colleagues are and the variety of things that I learn. My daily roles include reconciling invoices, doing payment runs on purchase ledger and creating new client accounts. I work at PHMG on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and then on Tuesdays I am at FutureSkills @MediaCityUK.

What is your favourite thing about Salford City College?

The tutors at Salford City College really push you to do well; Gill, Angela and Geoff are all really engaging, supportive and approachable. They have helped me with applications and interviews, have good links with employers and my confidence has improved so much. They genuinely want you to do well!

Why did you choose an Apprenticeship over university?

I feel like the best way to learn is actually working in the environment you’re learning about. Since my work placement at Peel and working at PHMG, my assignments at college are so relevant and I can link it to what I’m doing at work to put it into context. My confidence has improved so much because of working and I obviously also enjoy being paid and being independent. 

What is your future ambition?

I’d like to get my Level 4 and Level 5 qualifications in CIMA (Chartered Institute of Management Accountants). if opportunities came up to work abroad in the future then I think I’d definitely love to do that as PHMG has offices in London, Chicago, Singapore, Canada and South Africa!

Helpdesk Software